The Bible tells us that “Armageddon” is a geographical location in Israel where a great battle will be fought between an army of Christians and angels, led by Jesus, against an army of the kings of the earth, lead by the Antichrist (called “the Beast” in the Book of Revelation). There are Old and New Testament prophecies about this battle which tell us that:
- It will happen when Christ returns to earth to set up his Kingdom (Rev. 19:11-21)
- It will be preceded by a time of great tribulation on earth (Rev. Cp. 6-19)
- It will be followed by Christ’s judgment of those living on earth (Matt. 25)
- The Beast and False Prophet will be destroyed (Rev. 19:19-20)
- Satan will be bound and locked up for 1000 years (Rev. 20:1,2)
- There will be a resurrection of the “Just”, (Rev. 20:4-6)
- Christ will start his Millennial Kingdom on earth (Rev. 20:6).
The Greek name for Armageddon is Megiddo, which was a hill city in the Jezreel Valley of Israel. It was strategic throughout the history of Israel because it protected a major eastern trade and military route. In the future, this will be a gathering place of the kings of the earth and their armies to do battle against Christ (Rev. 16:16). The Battle of Armageddon will not be confined to the area of Megiddo. The Bible tells us that the bloodshed from this battle will flow for one hundred and eighty miles (Rev. 14:20), which will take up a major portion of Israel.
Some Christian writings have suggested that this great battle is one that is taking place now in a spiritual sense. However, the Bible depicts this battle as a real event on earth between real people. Some of the characteristics are:
- The opposing army is made up of “the kings of the earth” (Ps. 2:2).
- The defeated enemy will bleed (Rev. 14:20)
- Birds of prey will feast on the dead bodies (Rev. 19:21)
- It will take seven months to bury the bones of the dead (Ezk. 39:11-16)
These are all characteristics of a real, physical battle. Nothing like this has happened in the history of man, making it clear that the Battle of Armageddon is a future event.
More information on this subject can be found by following the links below: